Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spring Break Of A Lifetime: The Northern Loop

As soon as my last midterm exam was finished, my friends and I packed up our bags, trekked to the San Maria Novella train station, and hopped on a bus to begin our 10-day, 2,800-mile long adventure across 7 countries to visit 4 major cities: Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Paris. The trip is organized through a student travel agency, Bus2Alps, which provides the transportation, hostel/hotel accommodations, and a great crew of guides to help the students make the most of their spring break.

PRAGUE
I must admit that before arriving in the Czech Republic, I had no idea what Prague would be like. I was blown away when we arrived early Friday morning, and I saw the stunning architecture and beautiful weather. We were anxious to see the city and got to do so on our New Europe free tour. We learned about the history of Prague while we explored New Town Square and discovered Old Town Square where we saw the Astronomical Clock and many beautiful churches. The tour took us to the Jewish Quarter and afterward, some friends and I visited the Jewish Cemetery and Jewish Museum where we saw the artwork done by Jewish children in the concentration camps of the Czech Republic.

The next day, the Bus2Alps crew took us to the Charles Bridge which is full of venders and artists. Once we had reached the other side, we were only a short distance from the Lennon Wall. After taking what seemed like hundreds of pictures in front of the beautiful mural, my friends and I ventured up to the Prague Castle where we learned about the world's largest medieval castle. We spent our last night in Prague enjoying a traditional Czech meal in a local beer hall.

Old Town Square

The Jewish Cemetery

My friend Jason and I at the Lennon Wall

The Prague Castle


BERLIN                                                                                             Sunday morning we jumped back on the bus and I was excited to be finally traveling to Germany. After taking four years of German in high school, I was thrilled to be in Berlin where I can speak a little of the language and love the culture. As soon as I arrived, some friends and I hopped on the subway and went to visit the East Side Gallery, which is the largest standing portion of the Berlin Wall. 


The next morning,  we took a walking tour of the city starting at the Brandenberg Gate, saw the German Parliament- the Reichstag, remains of the Berlin Wall, the site of Hitler’s former bunker, Checkpoint Charlie, and finished by Museum Island. Afterward, I proceeded to join another tour that explored Berlin's modern street art scene. I was blown away by the magnitude and quality of the art that is integrated throughout the city. Before leaving Berlin, I enjoyed a lovely traditional dinner at the Georgbrau House.


Me in front of the East Side Gallery

Some friends and I on the NewBerlin walking tour 
Street art on the Alternative Tour
More great street art

AMSTERDAM
Early Tuesday morning, I woke up to see the sunrise over the canals of Amsterdam as the bus rolled in to the picturesque city. In a city were there are more bikes than people and more canals than venice, Amsterdam is a sight to behold. On the walking tour, we learned about the history and unique laws that Amsterdam has. Because Amsterdam was built on swamp land, the buildings are slowly sinking which makes for a whimsical cityscape. My friends and I visited the Anne Frank Museum, where we learned about Anne's hardships and toured the secret annex where she hid with her family. It was a moving experience that I will never forget. I finished my first day in Amsterdam by enjoying delicious strawberry pancakes at one of the many pancake houses. 

My second day in Amsterdam was spent exploring the rest of the city. A friend and I rented a peddle bike and navigated the maze of canals for an hour. Once back on land, we went to the Van Gogh Museum and climbed on the IAMSTERDAM sign. A waffle dinner was the perfect way to end my trip in Amsterdam.

The beautiful streets of Amsterdam

The entrance to the Anne Frank House

Me excited to get on a peddle bike

Me in front of the IAMSTERDAM sign

My delicious banana waffles

PARIS
Thursday evening the Bus2Alps group arrived in our final city of the Northern Loop - Paris. I enjoyed my first french meal and then walked around the city. The next morning, I joined the walking tour, which started at Notre Dome and took us down the Seine River. We crossed the Locks Bridge, walked through the courtyard of the Louvre Museum, and strolled through the gardens near the Arc de Triomphe. After the tour, I went directly to the Louvre and saw some of the greatest works of art in the world. Later that evening, some friends and I walked to the Eiffel Tower and had a picnic of baguettes and brie. On the top of every hour, the tower sparkles in a dazzling light show.

My last day of spring break was spent in Versailles, France. We explored the famous palace of Louis XV and Louis XVI. The Hall of Mirrors was breathtaking, but the weather was beautiful so we were anxious to get out to explore that sprawling gardens. We spent the afternoon relaxing by the Grand Canal and hiking through the paths. After returning to Paris, my friends and I climbed the Eiffel Tower before getting on the bus to return back to Florence.

Notre Dome

In the courtyard of the Louvre

Having fun with the Eiffel Tower at night

Friends and I in the Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles

In the gardens of Versailles

Last night in Paris - at the Eiffel Tower

I am still in shock and awe of the places I saw in just 10 days. I cannot wait to travel across Europe more!