Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Midterms Abroad

As the weather in Florence continues to improve with the coming of each new day, the city is truly coming alive. Under the blaze of the Tuscan sun, the people, the places, and the energy is electric. The Italians' comically oversized puffy coats are being put away, and the colorful streets are bustling with activity. The number of tourists continues to increase exponentially each day. I no longer consider myself a tourist, but instead a temporary resident. A student. I must remind myself this, especially during midterm week.

On Monday, I took two exams, one for my Wine Culture In Italy class and the other in Ceramics. I have learned so much about wine including the production processes, wine history, and how to analyze wine by tasting. In Ceramics, I have learned two techniques of handbuilding (not using a wheel) and I'm working on a modern arty ceramic installation. On Tuesday, I presented my portfolio for my Florence Sketchbook and was impressed by the amount of quality works that I've created here in such a short amount of time.
Church Interior - White pastel on black paper

Fresco Detail - Colored pastels

Ink and white tempra

Now I am planning on spending the day studying for Italian in the Boboli Gardens of the Pitti Palace. Then, spring break begins on Thursday!