Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ode To Ceramics

After two weeks in my new city, I feel like I am finally getting into the swing of things. I love to romp around the city during the day and just explore my new surroundings. I can't imagine how anyone could ever be bored in a city like Florence. There is always something to do here! My favorite places to go are the leather market in Piazza San Lorenzo and the Central Market, where you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables, and meats and cheeses. Unfortunately, the weather has been unusually cold so I haven't been out as much as I would like to. It's been snowing lightly for the past few days, which is basically unheard of!

When I'm not off exploring the city, I'm attending my classes at Florence University of the Arts, or FUA. I am taking an Italian language class, which has been extremely helpful in learning how to communicate with the locals. I have so much motivation to learn! I'm also enrolled in a class called Wine Culture In Italy, which explores the both the history of wine and the technical evaluation of different wines. My art classes are Florence Sketchbook and Ceramics. As far as favorite classes go, there is already a clear winner for me. I am in love with ceramics! Here's my work so far:
Learning the coil technique in Ceramics 
Making my vase

Finished product! (almost)

Starting my next project - a toy train!
This week, I went to my first museum, Museo Archiologico, where I saw ancient Egyptian, Etruscan, Greek, and Roman pottery. Everything I saw was inspiring and beautiful. The ornate urns were particularly interesting to me. Perhaps I will make something like this in Ceramics!