Thursday, February 16, 2012

Apartment Living and Chocolate Festival-ing

I can't believe that I've been living in Florence for over three weeks now, and I've barely talked about my apartment here. I'm living on a busy street in the city center, which is directly across from one of FUA's buildings. I don't actually have any classes across the street, but instead, I walk 30 minutes across the city-passing the Duomo almost everyday-to reach the fine art building. I just can't believe how lucky I am to be living in such a beautiful and historic city!

My apartment is in an old, ornately-decorated building with huge wooden doors. The apartment is spacious  with five bedrooms, a large kitchen, two bathrooms, and a living room. All eight girls share the space and get along really well. We live in a neighborhood near Santa Croce, which is a beautiful medieval church. Because I live in the city center, there are shops, gallerias, and restaurants close by. There is always something fun to do or a new adventure to be had.


The front door to my building (Photo By Chrissy Jones)

My extremely large bedroom which I share with one other girl (there is even an extra bed)

The view from my window

Santa Croce - the church around the corner from my apartment (Photo By Chrissy Jones) 
This week Florence hosted their annual Chocolate Festival, and I went almost every day. The event was held in the Piazza della Repubblica, where vendors set up stands and sold their delicious treats to crowds of tourists and Florentines alike. There were chocolate fountains, sculptures, and candies. Even though there were plenty of free samples to satisfy my sweet tooth, I still bought over a pound of chocolates.

My roommate and I admiring the chocolate figurines 

My first Italian hot chocolate - so thick and delicious!