Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Florentine Family


When I began my study abroad journey over three months ago, I never could have imagined how much I would do, how many places I would see, and most importantly the quality of friendships that I would build here. Back then, I was unbelievably nervous about leaving my family, friends, and university where I felt extremely comfortable and happy; but it was an inexplicable and undeniable urge to go out into the world and travel that led me to decide to study abroad. It has turned out to be the best decision that I ever made.

Stepping across the threshold of my Florentine apartment for the first time in January was the beginning of an incredible adventure. Upon walking into my new home, I met seven unique and wonderful women, who I have been lucky enough to live with and share in this adventure together. Some of my best memories have been with these girls in our apartment in Florence and also traveling around Europe with them. From taking a trip to celebrate Carnivale in the seaside town of Viareggio, to hosting an art gallery show in our apartment and our famous potluck aperitivos, my roommates and I have shared unforgettable experiences. And that was just the beginning. Through traveling, classes, and other friends, I was able to meet a variety of people from all across the world and build what are sure to be long-lasting friendships.

As I am preparing to leave Florence and begin my journey to backpack across Europe for the next month, I am saddened at the thought of leaving my friends, or more accurately, my new family. However, I can only be sad for a short time because then I begin to think of how blessed I am to know them and have them in my life. I look forward to us all going our own ways and watching my new family blossom and continue to grow and achieve great things. Though we will be apart, we will always share what we had here in Florence and reuniting will be a highly anticipated event. It gives me comfort to know that I can always look back and remember the best times of my life and the people I shared them with. Here are just a few!
One of the first nights in our apartment
Meeting my roommate

Exploring Florence at the top of Piazza Michelangelo
Meeting the neighbors 
Celebrating Carnivale in Viareggio, Italy
Learning about Grappa in Bassano del Grappa

Aperitivo at Ganzo with the roommates 
More friends and more aperitivo

Hanging out at the "urban beach" AKA Palazzo Pitti

Hosting aperitivo at our apartment
Relaxing in Versailles
Eating gelato from De Neri

Ready to take the train to Rome 
Building forts in our living room
Neon mask photo shoot - recreating the last supper. By Lynn Golan